Debunking Myths About Getting a DUI in One State and Moving to Another

police officer questioning driverSome people believe that if they are charged with a DUI and convicted of this offense in one state, and then they move to another, their DUI will not follow them. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Most states participate in interstate compacts—namely, the DLC (Driver’s License Compact) and the NVC (Nonresident Violator Compact).

The DLC is an agreement between states to report driving convictions that occur out-of-state to your home state. For instance, if you lived in Las Vegas and had a DUI conviction and moved to Los Angeles, the DUI conviction would be reported to the California DMV when you attempted to get a California driver’s license.

So as long as you have completed all the requirements of the DUI conviction and had the license reinstated, then the California DMV would issue you a new license. However, in California, they review the DUI conviction to determine if it would be considered a driving offense in the state. This evaluation is done to see if you would need to adhere to other California laws, like obtaining a DUI SR22 certificate as part of your auto insurance requirements.

The NVC is an agreement between states to report convictions that are still outstanding. For example, you got a DUI in Las Vegas but moved before resolving the DUI. If you were to attempt to get a license in California, they would pull the outstanding conviction from Nevada, and you would not be issued a driver’s license. There could also be other consequences for failing to resolve the DUI before moving.

Another myth people have is that if they are convicted of a DUI in a different state and move, then their license will no longer be suspended. Most states will automatically suspend your license pending the outcome of a DUI and suspend it if you are convicted of the offense.

Drunk driving legal limit

Even if you move to a new state, your license and driving privileges will still be suspended. You cannot get a new license issued until you satisfy the suspension period from your previous state. If you continue to drive on your existing license and are stopped for another DUI or other traffic violation, then the police would see that your license was suspended for a DUI conviction.

Furthermore, any other requirements issued by the court, such as completing DUI education classes, paying fines and fees, and so on, must also be satisfied before you can get your driver’s license reinstated. In some cases, you may have to complete the reinstatement process in your previous state first, to release the hold on the license, and then apply for your new license at the DMV in the state where you now live.

If you recently moved to California and were told you need an SR22 certificate to get your license reinstated, Breathe Easy Insurance can help. Please feel free to contact us at 866.822.7755 today!